Saturday 8 March 2008

Context Crawler: Enter the "Socioblogosphere"

Here I note some blogosphere developments in a more recognisably social theory/sociology vein than the CRU discussed in my "Crash" post, or those who position themselves in opposition to such an "interpretive community", such as my own interlocuor in aforementioned post, and perhaps others such as Cultural Parody (I leave the latter characterisation open though, and won't comment on anything else approximating scattershot rhetoric and character assasinations, unless I come across them).
I find the links here far more interesting anyway, and I hope derridata might be able to offer some complementary blog links and commentary on information science that could contribute a lot to my own thumbnail sketch of an emergent blogosphere. From this link one should certainly check out in turn Cass Sunstein's more sobering assessment of the democratic potential of blogging, and then move to Context Crawler from there, where one can link to Craig Calhoun's blog (replete with podcasts).
Finally, I hope to have a chance to compare the socioblogosphere with the more culturally studies inflected interpretive community coming into being, as it would be fascinating to discover if in the new forum there are any parallels to the older institutional histories I traced in the "Crash" post.

No comments: